Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Brunch

One of my favorite meals is breakfast or brunch. It's not that I eat a lot at this time, no not me - I'm too busy cooking!
The Inn I work at has a regular Sunday brunch, and I have to admit a small secret that I like to work the omelet bar. I like putting on the show for the guests!


For anyone who goes to a Sunday brunch I have just one tip for you; Do not ask your omelet bar person either of these 2 questions
"How many of those do you drop a day?"
"How long did it take you to learn that?"
If we were in the habit of dropping any, we wouldn't be out front.
I have no idea how many times I've heard these two questions in a single brunch, I stopped counting when I reached 35. Yes these are the things we put up with, along with the jokers who try to make us drop the flip. And I still enjoy myself.

But brunch at the Inn isn't why I love this particular meal. It's cooking for friends! I've had the opportunity to cook at a new open B&B to try out recipes and every time we go camping I can't stay away from breakfast duty (although it does keep me away from dish duty!).

One of my favorite recipes is a puff pastry dish that I can even manage to do on the BBQ while camping. (of course I own a camping trailer complete with an oven..yes I'm spoiled)

Brunch Puff Pastry
1 pkg rolled puff pastry
6 Eggs
6 pieces sliced pork loin (Canadian bacon),about 1/4inch thick
Salt and Pepper
Egg Wash:
1 Egg
1 Tbsp water

Pre-heat oven or grill to 400degrees F.
Lightly butter a rectangular disposable baking dish. Lay the puff pastry out and brush with egg wash. Lay the slices of pork loin over the puff pastry leaving a 1-1.5 inch boarder of pastry.
Bake for 20 minutes or until the pastry has puffed up and is nice and golden brown.
The boarder has now risen to an elevated crust and you can crack the eggs into the interior.
Season with Salt and pepper and bake again until eggs are set.
Serve immediately.

This is also VERY good with a hollandaise sauce or the addition of asparagus spears. Prep the Asparagus by cooking for 60seconds in boiling water, refresh in ice water or running under cold water. Dry well and then add these when you add the eggs.

No comments: