Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Spring has come and it brings Gifts!

Spring has sprung and everything is fresh!
I've been enjoying fiddle heads and beautiful fresh pencil asparagus.
This year I've also indulged in my own herb garden, a rather extensive one for the space I have as you can see.






For those who are curious what's to be found in those planters here's a short list.
Of the Mint Family: Peppermint, spearmint, ginger mint, orange mint, chocolate mint and pineapple mint
Of the Basil Family: Thai, Lettuce, mammoth, Siam, Opal, Lime, Lemon, Cinnamon
Thyme - Garden, Lemon, Silver
Sage, Pineapple sage
Tarragon
Vietnamese Coriander
Dill
Parsley




All these are right outside my kitchen window, so as I'm cooking I can be inspired to add a few new flavours.
Already I've made use of the Cinnamon Basil while making a Strawberry Sorbet. It turned out devine.
The Chocolate Mint was also very tasty when added to a Cherry Bruschetta recipe which I have every intention of sharing now.


Cherry Bruschetta

1 good french Baguette
Fresh cherries, pitted and roughly chopped
1/4 cup of good red wine vinegar or Balsamic Vinegar
1/4 cup of Fresh Basil or Mint (I used the chocolate mint)
1/4 cup of Goats milk Feta
1/2 cup of Chevre
Crushed black pepper

Halve the Baguette and cut into 3 inch long, then toast in the oven.
Mix the cherries, their natural juices with the Vinegar and mint, a bit of crushed pepper.
Mix the feta and the Chevre together.
Top the toasted Baguette pieces with the cherry mixture. Then top that off with the cheese mix. Serve. It's amazingly tasty!



1 comment:

send gift to pakistan said...

Cherry Bruschetta recipe is very nice.Add some more collection.